The City and the TTC will be replacing the streetcar tracks at the intersection of Gerrard Street East and Parliament Street.
To accommodate this track work, the intersection will be completely fully closed in all directions for three weeks – from 5 a.m. on Monday, May 14 to 6 a.m. on Monday, June 4. A minimum of one lane of traffic in each direction will be open on June 4.
TTC service changes (5 a.m. on May 14 to 6 a.m. on June 4)
The 506/306 Carlton route is currently operating with a bus service. During the full closure and track renewal work at the Gerrard/Parliament intersection, all buses will be restricted from entering the intersection.
– 506/306 Carlton Route: Buses will divert around the closed intersection both ways via Carlton Street, Sherbourne Street, Dundas Street East, River Street and Gerrard Street East to route.
– 65/365 Parliament Route: Buses will divert both ways via Parliament Street, Carlton Street, Sherbourne Street, Dundas Street East and Parliament Street to route.
The first few days of the full intersection closure are the most disruptive and involve breaking and removing concrete within the streetcar track areas. Concrete breaking will stop at 11 p.m.
Traffic during the closure
– Eastbound traffic will be diverted at Sherbourne Street.
– Westbound traffic will be diverted at River Street.
– Southbound traffic will be diverted at Carlton Street
– Northbound traffic will be diverted at Dundas Street
– Local traffic will be maintained up to the closure.
The rail installation phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work and extended weekend hours by TTC crews. The overnight rail work may consist of moving rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding. Around-the-clock rail installation work by TTC is required to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete and support the daytime construction.
Pre-assembled rail panels on flatbed trailers will be temporarily stored in the track allowance near the closure limits. The rail panels help speed up installation, thereby reducing overnight work.
TTC office/lunch trailers will be parked on Gerrard Street (south of Anniversary Park) west of Parliament Street. These trailers will be removed at the end of the project.
The TTC contact for this project is Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison, 416 393-2197; firstname.lastname@example.org.