This week’s look at the past is of the Toronto School of Medicine as it appeared in 1885. The school was located at the south west corner of Gerrard Street East and Sackville Street (there is now a TTC bus shelter located just about where the gentlemen in the picture are standing).
We have written in the past about the Toronto General Hospital which was kitty-corner to this building at the time of this photograph. It seems the Toronto School of Medicine had quite a tumultuous history with key figures being linked to the Upper Canada Rebellion, accusations of financial mismanagement and political machinations… as well as some respectable medical training.
Read the entertaining and informative story in this excellent article from torontoist.com:
Historicist: The Toronto School of Medicine (torontoist.com)
Photo: Toronto Public Library (torontopubliclibrary.ca)