The “Gerrard Street Bridge” over the Don River predates this part of the street even being called Gerrard Street East. Gerrard Street East used to end at Parliament Street and after a short dog-leg turn was known as Don Street (torontopubliclibrary.ca – map image).
Here are a few of our favourite photos of this crossing.
1899 – Looking north-east toward the “House of Refuge” and the Don Gaol
1910 – Looking south toward the bridge
1922 – Various views of the bridge
1925 – Looking north at the Don Esplanade and Cornwall