For much of Cabbagetown’s history, industries such as tanning, brewing and manufacturing were common in the area. One of the larger businesses and employer of many locals was Sheet Metal Products located at River Street and Gerrard Street East as pictured here in 1921. Many products were manufactured here, including helmets for the military, fry pans, cups and assorted metal items of the day.
It was known as the Dominion Tin and Stamping Works prior to 1885, Kemp Manufacturing (1888), Sheet Metal Products (1911) and finally after a merger as General Steel Wares (1927). The building was demolished in the 1960s.
Photo courtesy of City of Toronto Archives (toronto.ca/archives)