Most of our peeks at the past have used photographs, but this architectural drawing of the area from 1936 caught the Cabbagetowner’s eye.
The drawing portrays the view facing eastward from Sackville St., with Oak St. to the left, Sumach at the far side, and Dundas St. on the right. This area is now where the park lies, and the Aquatic Centre would be at the centre of the view in the distance.
Image courtesy of the Toronto Archives
Archival citation: Fonds 200, Series 1188, File 1, Item 105
Title: Perspective of inside area bounded by Dundas St. E., Sackville St., Oak St., and Sumach St., Toronto
Author or Creator: S. T. J. Fryer
Date(s) of creation of record(s): June, 1936
Physical description of record(s): 1 architectural drawing : pencil and crayon on tissue paper ; 43 x 73 cm
Form of material: Drawings
Forms part of: Fonds 200; Former City of Toronto fonds
Series 1188; City of Toronto Buildings Department, architectural drawings and plans
File 1; Architectural drawings scrapbook
Notes about title: View looking East, showing suggested improvement.
Notes about physical description:
Drawing flattened by humidifying with Gore-tex, tear repaired with Japanese paper, re-humidfied to flatten and supported with backing board.
Numbers or letters borne by the records: Formerly cited as: RG13, Series H, Volume 1, p. 105.