To allow for better physical distancing outside, last week the City of Toronto announced the launch of ActiveTO to give more space on roads to cyclists and pedestrians. While roads are not being closed entirely to vehicles, streets will be calmed through the installation of signage and temporary barricades to encourage slow, local vehicle access only.
Locations are being identified and prioritized by several factors including: population density, equity, access to green space, car ownership rates and traffic volumes. Network connectivity was also reviewed and routes were selected to support safe cycling and walking connections on essential trip routes, particularly along tower renewal corridors and within neighbourhood improvement areas.
The list of initial ActiveTO locations to be established in Ward 13 include:
- Sackville St from Shuter St to Gerrard St E;
- Sumach St from King St E to Wellesley St E;
- Howard St from Parliament St to Sherbourne St;
- Earl St / St. James Ave from Parliament St to Sherbourne St;
- The Esplanade from Yonge St to Berkeley St; and,
- Mill St from Parliament St to Bayview Ave.
- Scott St from Colborne St to The Esplanade;
(Thanks to Councillor Wong Tam’s office for this content)